Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Kansas City Temple Open House
During our trip we were able to stay with my brother, sister in law, and niece. We were able to check out KU's campus where my brother is going to school. Good times, great to be with family. Thanks A & J!!
Although it is hard to tell because the sun was setting, we are standing there in front of the temple.
Kansas City holds some special memories of Adam for me. We enjoyed taking trips down there through the years. When I heard of the building of a temple down there, I knew it would be special. But more than anything, I was most excited to be able to take my little boys inside and show them how special the temple is.
Temples are fundamental to my religious beliefs. They date back to the Old Testament and current temples are patterned after the temples God designed in biblical times. The references in the scriptures show the vital place they are to be in our lives. Temples are houses of God and as such, only those keeping certain standards are able to go inside once they are dedicated. When they are built, there is a period of time that the public is invited in--anyone and everyone is allowed to come in and tour the temple. But after the temple is dedicated (when a specific member of our church, having authority, gives a special dedicatory prayer) then only those who have met with their ecclesiastical leaders and who meet certain standards may go inside.
I remember vividly when the beautiful San Diego temple was built and had its open house. I remember being able to go through its open house and feeling like I was walking into heaven. I remember certain rooms, the grandeur--but mostly the peace that is felt therein.
Anyhow. Generally, children do not go in temples. And it was with that knowledge that taking the boys was important to me. I knew I needed to be able to look in the mirrors that go on forever (symbolizing eternal families) and stand with my boys, and to be reminded of the eternal nature of my family. What a great, very unique experience that was. When asked what he liked most about the temple, Spencer replied, "Looking into the mirror that went on forever."
My hope is that the boys will remember how they felt as we toured the temple and that they'll want to return again one day when they are older and ready to understand the significance of the temple. How grateful I am that we have so many temples in our midst. We are blessed.
To learn more about temples, go here.

5 comments:
Beautifully written, melissa. thanks for sharing today.
The boys have gotten so big! The baby is not a baby anymore. Loved seeing the pictures of you and kids. What a wonderful experience to be with them and walk through this new, beautiful temple.
It is so wonderful you were able to take the boys to the Open House, I have been so sad to not be close enough to take our boys. It is such a unique, special place and to be able to share that spirit with our children is even more special. So glad you were able to go. Love the pics!
I really admire how your faith permeates your life so much and how you teach your boys. So, I've always wondered about who can go in. Can you? What are the standards?
Check your FB email Jessica. I tried to respond, but I think my email explanation will be best.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.