Wednesday, August 31, 2011

9/11

It is bizarre, really. I don't know why it took me until this morning to realize such a profound truth: The widows from the 9/11 attacks have survived 10 years of widowhood. I don't know why this didn't occur to me last year, but I realized this morning the vast amount of women (and in fairness, men) who were widowed that day. Whoa. I never thought of us as enduring a bizarre, similarly sudden tragic horror. Don't know why I never thought in depth about those widows and widowers.

I started googling 9/11 widows and reading of their stories this morning. Interesting mix of stories. I read of political activism, of education, of those who wrote books, formed widowed groups, are speakers, and of day to day stories of courage of these women. I never thought I could learn so much from this very interesting group of widows.

I have a renewed hope for my future after reading of their ability to more forward. It gives me courage and perspective I suppose. It shows me how much life can and will go on in my next ten years. Most of all, it gives me hope.

Hope is all I have most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.