Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011

I was just pondering on the many blessings of 2011. Certainly there were a lot of challenges and trials, but I know I only need to click through my blog postings (and those unposted) to find the negative--and the growth that has come because of the negative. I realize how blessed I am to have gotten through this year and want to make a mental note of all that has transpired in my life through 2011. I feel like I have aged about 80 years in this past year alone. I think sometimes I forget that I have gone through so much and I forget that others haven't had to learn the same principles. It is sort of strange. Heavenly Father certainly has a plan for each of us and we learn in His time, on His schedule, and according to His will.

Here goes....
Survived an entire year as a young, single, widowed mother of 3 boys.

Been blessed to stay home with all three boys and try to stabilize life.

Countless acts of service to our family, so much so that I am brought to tears in just thinking about the multitude of people who have not forgotten about us and realized how life--in many, many ways--only gets more difficult as time passes, as the realization that this whole thing isn't going to magically going to get easier...that this is a new life for us. So much service rendered to us, for which I'm eternally grateful.

Spencer has physically healed so well.

Justin has physically healed so well.

All three boys go to bed easily now (relatively anyway!).

Our appliances and home are in working order and continue to provide the shelter and basics we need in order to live and thrive.

Strangers continue to send me notes and strengthen me with words of encouragement.

Adam's coworkers continue to look after us.

Friends. We are blessed with friends near and far.

Family. So grateful for the support and love of family.

Wisdom. Grateful for the moments that I can discern what Adam would want me to do.

Above all, I am grateful for my Savior, His unfailing support, and the knowledge that all wounds can heal--in time and eventually--through him. He atoned for our sins and for the sins of others so that we can--and will--be resurrected again one day. He is real. He does not leave us alone in any of our trials. Sometimes it is required of us to feel alone in order for our learning. I think that is one of life's most difficult lessons to learn. Yet realizing that I am not truly alone is one of those principles I will continue to study my entire life.

I have many goals for 2012...Among them are some that I always have, but a few others....

Continue going to the gym
Decide on job/educational plans
Continue being a mom as I had planned and for which I have prayed.
Learn a few new skills this year.
Strengthen myself
Strengthen others
Teach my boys more about service and the joy that comes from serving others
Figure out a few more long term goals. Or at least make some.

Simple. Right? We shall see.

3 comments:

me said...

How fitting you posted this at the time you did. I remember back when we had pagers instead of cell phones during high-school, and to let someone know you loved them you would enter 143. Melissa, you are SO very, very loved. 143

amy said...

It's so crazy how much I relate to everything you say...so thanks so much for saying it!

LaRee said...

Enjoyed your post here!...Remaining positive in the face of any trials removes the adversary's unrelenting efforts to create misery in ours lives. Positive energy lifts our spirits as well as others. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.