1. Simple.
2. Truthful.
I am teaching a primary class tomorrow and as I've been studying the lesson, I realized again how much I love primary. This is the lesson I am teaching.
I have a Christian song that I sang in Encore in high school called "Peace be Still" in my head. I love that song. It's amazing how good music can just stay with us for a lifetime. I love the passages of scripture in Mark that relay the experience of Christ calming the waters.
At first glance, it seems sort of difficult to explain what the "priesthood" is to those who are not members of my church. I always wonder if others hear "priesthood" and then think that it's some sort of "mans club" or something. It isn't. The only thing that I can say clearly and simply is that I have felt the priesthood power of God in my life and I know it is real. God the Father and Jesus Christ hold the priesthood, as do men of God on the earth. I know that is it no coincidence that Adam was able to give the boys a priesthood "Father's Blessing" (as is discussed in the the primary lesson above) the night before he died. The tradition of having such a blessing was prevalent in his home growing up, and it was in mine prior to starting school each year. It is a tradition that we carried on in our family. It is also a tradition that we continue, even in Adam's absence. The priesthood power is the same, the only difference is that their father is not the one who administers such blessings. It is other men who are keeping certain standards and are worthy to do so.
Having worked in a hospital, I have witnessed very tender things as men from our church who hold this priesthood power have come (having been asked by an ill person to come) to administer blessings to those who are sick. I have had blessings on occasion when I have been ill or have otherwise been in need, and I know that the comfort that I have felt is real and true. The peace I felt only one hour after the crash--when everything else was going wrong around me--as my boys were given blessings of healing is something I will never, ever forget. I feel very privileged to have such an experience. I suppose that is in part why I keep this blog. I cannot deny the promptings I have received. I know there is peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings into our lives. There is a fullness and completeness--not merely a part--of truth that has been testified to me by being a member of my church. And so, I testify that these things are true.
1 comment:
I love this post, thank you!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.