Friday, March 25, 2011

"How many hands does Mommy have?"

Yet one more time that my kids heard this question. I think my kids are going to want to add this quote to my headstone or something! Spencer, of all my children, is quite demanding and I find myself repeating this question to him a lot. After I was trying to get Carson out of the shower this morning (and not Spencer), Spencer started yelling at me to get him out of the shower. Hence, the # of hands question. Someday he'll learn to quit yelling at me...hopefully it's just a phase. It's frustratingly annoying.

It snowed last night. And not the usual powdery snow, but wet-stick-to-the-trees snow. It's so pretty. Even prettier that it didn't stick to all the sidewalks and roads much, but completely covered the grass by several inches. Hopefully my daffodils and tulips that are emerging from the ground don't mind too much.

I got a little California-driver-y this morning. Some crazy chick in a Jetta tailed me on the road to Justin's school. Like crazy-bad tailing, and throwing her hands in the air having a road rage-tantrum for no reason. I wasn't even going all that slow, just the speed limit. So what did I do? Honk. A LONG honk as I continued to drive. The kids wondered what was going on and I told them that there was a crazy lady behind us, no big deal. But I had to laugh in my head. Adam always would tap his breaks if people tailed him and he was annoyed. I never liked that tactic because what if then they rear-ended us? I always worried that would happen. I tend to like my horn much better. Adam was a very passive-aggressive person sometimes. People out here (in my experience) don't use their horns all that often. But I do. When necessary. < grin >

It's a really good thing I have a smart 8 year old. We forgot (again) to study his weekly spelling words, until on the way to school today (it's spelling test day). Someday this will catch up to us, I fear. Thankfully for now, he doesn't need much (if any) studying. What kind of spelling word is "overwrought" anyway? I mean, I don't think I've ever used that word in conversation. Hmm.

Got a really nice email from one of Adam's coworkers about a dream she'd had about Adam and me. Kinda sweet. I like hearing of "nice" dreams. They're much better than the wacky recurring dreams I have of marrying my friends' husbands. Those are just plain obnoxious at this point. No worries, friends--they're just weird dreams! :) I'm not after your men.

Working on thoughts for an art project. I went through Adam's shoes the other day, I was finally ready. He makes me laugh, that Adam. When we got married, I think he came to our marriage with like 2 things--a mismatched set of twin bed sheets (which I think he stole from his mom's linen closet for use when he lived on his own) and a set of tupperware measuring cups (also taken from his mom, I'm sure of it.). He was a man of few "things." He didn't have very many pairs of shoes, and as we learned through our marriage...we wore out everything that we ever bought. I suppose those were good traits to learn.

So I've hated the idea of throwing his shoes away (they are too worn to give away, truly). One person suggested I take pictures of them and maybe add them to the quilts I'm going to make the boys with Adam's shirts. But I came up with a seemingly better idea. I'm going to make impressions of them on a canvas, and then do little foot print impressions of the boys and maybe mine on there. Still working on the logistics, but I like the idea that we'll have a visual of his shoes/feet instead.

I gave Carson his "real" first haircut this morning. The poor kid couldn't see through the hair in his eyes, so I decided it was time. I've been fighting it for too long, denying that Carson is getting big and "old."

Potato soup for breakfast. And a brownie. For me...not the kids. Breakfast of champions. Or maybe just a grieving widow.

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

uh, you don't have to be a grieving widow to eat a brownie for breakfast...

i LOVE your idea of putting the shoe prints on canvas. what a neat piece of "artwork" it would be.

and i use my horn a lot too. genetic? but i also tap my breaks too or slow waaaaayyy down :) I do sometimes try to be thoughtful and think, "maybe someone in that car is in labor!" that is the only explanation that makes me feel the least bit compassionate.

the conference you went to sounds amazing. what a great experience to have. i'm glad you could go and felt like you came home with some more thoughts on how to move forward in this new life of yours. prayers morning and night for you and the boys, always.

Beckeesdeals said...

Another idea for the shoes...maybe you could do that paint/bronze thing that kids sometimes do for Mother Day-we have a bronzed shoe of Solace's that they turned into a little flower pot during preschool. It is cute and a fun little thing we pull out and talk about how much she has grown! Might be something like that you could do and make cute?!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.