Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Three Bears

Adam and I used to take turns telling the boys the story of the three bears at bedtime. I think I started it somewhere because I used to tell the story to my siblings when they were little. Not sure why kids like that story. I don't think I've ever told the version that is actually in fairy tale books. Doesn't it actually end with Goldilocks getting eaten up or something awful? I dunno. Most fairytale stories don't end all that happily ever after, in my estimation.

Anyhow. Somewhere along the line I started telling a new three bears story to the boys after Adam died and once we got into a bit of a bedtime routine again. I don't do it nightly, but nearly. I find it most interesting that even though Justin is in that annoying age of "I'm too old for that Mom" (you know, that whole "I'm embarrassed of my Mom" age) that he still wants to be babied to a degree. Love that! The past few nights he has reminded me to tell the three bears story before Spencer piped up to ensure that the story was given.

It always starts out that once upon a time there were three bears, a Justin Bear, a Spencer Bear, and a Carson Bear, and that they had a Mommy Bear and a Daddy Bear who loved them very much. The Daddy Bear was in heaven though so he blew kisses to the three bears and the Mommy Bear every day. The rest of the story varies based on what our activities have been. Or in the case of some days, if the Daddy bear would not be happy with certain behaviors of his bears, his disapproval is expressed during these stories. Sometimes I tell them stories about when they were little bears or stories of when Adam did something funny, or sweet, or...dumb. I love how much the boys love this time. Carson will listen and give sound effects from his crib while I stand in the doorway between their two bedrooms. They are always all tucked in for the night when we have this story time. Tonight Carson repeated my high pitched "teehee" noise that I made when telling a story about the three bears joining our family and how excited the Mommy Bear and Daddy Bear were with their arrivals. Justin told some video game stories. Spencer told some stories about the slip n slide. I told them that Carson isn't going to remember so they're going to need to remember daddy holding him and feeding him and changing diapers. It was tonight that I realized how grateful I am for our isolation. While that might sounds strange, I am so glad that Adam and I were far removed from everyone else, so the boys remember our little family unit and our times together as just "us." Those are important as they grow and reflect and watch their friends grow up--that they'll know they had that at one time too. Carson, well, I don't know. It will be different for him. I hate that. But I sure enjoy our three bears time. I told Justin that they are going to have to help telling these stories at night, I told him he gets to start tomorrow.

I got the kids to bed. This bear is tired. Wednesdays suck the life out of me it seems! They're just busy. Such is life. Someday things will make sense. I hope they do. I need them to.

3 comments:

kelly said...

We do stories like that too, they used to be called Micah and Jacob stories, they still are, but they now include 2 more siblings! They are always magical adventures they have with their dad. Side note...Goldilocks jumps out the window to her death after the bears wake her up.

Unknown said...

Very sweet Melissa. Your boys will remember the stories and will most likely continue the tradition with their kids some day. My dad used to always tell me a story before bedtime. It was either Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, or Jack and the Beanstalk. And the stories were never the same! I love it when we're with my dad and he gets to tell the stories to my girls. :)

Anonymous said...

I found your blog tonight. I have been reading for two hours~ and plan to later read more (two boys will be waking me up in not too many hours). I do not know and cannot imagine what you and your boys have experienced and continue to experience each day. My heart and prayers are with you tonight! My father died when my mom was pregnant with me. I was born 4 months later and my mom raised 5 kids on her own- she was a nurse, also, and went back to work when I started preschool. I never experienced life on earth with my father. But I tell you, I know him. I have felt him with me in situations where no one else in my family could have been there and I needed support. My dad has been a great support. I was told in a blessing recently that he is my guardian angel. I don't know how that all works and I do not always feel him, but I believe it and find great strength because of it. God is good and will care for your little Carson, as He will and does for you and your older boys. I wish my father had been there, like a "normal" dad situation. It was not always easy. But I feel my convictions have been deepened and my character developed because of the death of my father and the life I experienced because of it. Again, my prayers and hugs to you and your boys.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.