Tuesday, March 20, 2012

More time

I got a call (which I will admit, freaked me out when I saw the caller ID and heard the familiar voice on the other end of the phone) which informed me that the credit the defendant got at sentencing for his "time served" prior to sentencing had been appealed and the appeal was won. The defendant originally received 370 days credit, which we knew was not correct because he wasn't actually arrested until he was out of the hospital...so they appealed and he got credit for 319 days. This means he will have an additional 51 days in jail.

I have forgiven him, for my own purposes. So this set of news didn't make me happy or sad. Just neutral, that I knew that this time was due for him. But more than anything, I think of his family and how sad that must be for them to have had to watch their family member who they love mess up his life in this manner. How sad for that man's family, and that he wasted his life. He had the opportunity to learn and grow and to experience the freedoms that we all get to experience in America, and instead he has affected his life permanently. It is just awful. I am grateful that me and my family, as well as Adam's family, have the opportunity to let this experience change our lives for good, that we still can go and do and learn from Adam's life and do what he would want us to do--to be our best selves and learn how to choose joy and happiness. While that man can still change his life and have a measure of joy, I know that the fullness won't be there for him. And I think my heart aches for that reason. I miss Adam for my own selfish reasons, and while he certainly was capable of accomplishing much good here, I know that he can and will accomplish much good where he is at and that is where God needs him to be. God's will is an interesting thing and I've learned that life is easier when we try not to fight against Him and instead choose obedience. I know that it is through obedience that we find true happiness and joy.

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

geez meliss, you really are a spiritual giant! what profound and wise thoughts. if you can develop or find forgiveness towards this man I can certainly do better at forgiving the insignificant things that bother me day in and day out.

leean robinson said...

I echo Amber's thoughts. You are wise beyond your young years!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.