Friday, November 5, 2010

Harrison

I always liked the name Harrison....Maybe just because I've always liked Harrison Ford.  I remember discussing with Adam if we could name Carson "Harrison."  But it was vetoed by both of us, probably mostly because I'm not a fan of the name "Harry"--and neither was Adam.

Interesting that Harrison and Harry Andersen are intersecting streets right by our house.

I was trying to get Justin off to school this morning.  We were relatively "on time" in leaving the house.  But we got to Harrison and there was a sheriff's patrol car blocking off Harrison so I couldn't turn right--which is really the only easy, quick way to go to Justin's school.  So we had to go down and around and way out of the way to get him to school.  And he was late.  This was a traumatic morning.  It was very deja-vu-ish.

At 8:15 as I was hurrying the boys through breakfast, I heard ambulance and fire engine sirens.  I ignored them; Justin was talking at the time and I was hoping that he was ignoring them too.  Spencer, however, was NOT.  He said, "Mom, what's that noise?"  I told him, "sirens," and we went about our breakfast.  Two minutes later, Justin said "What's THAT noise?"  and we looked out the window to see the life flight hellicopter fly over our house.  Ugh.  Such an icky feeling in my stomach.  I told the boys that someone was probably hurt.

THEN.  We are trying to get to school, only to find that an accident DID happen close to our house...on Harrison.

Ugh.  Poor Justin.  As we drove the long way to school, we prayed for whoever was in this wreck.  And we talked about being prepared.  Spencer had thrown a fit and so his shoes didn't get put on this morning.  I hadn't grabbed a pacifier and a burp cloth for Carson.  I was wearing short sleeves and it was 28ish degrees.  All things that would not serve us well if we needed to "be prepared" and not be in the car.  "Our" crash will always have an impact on daily things we think about and do I'm afraid.  But it teaches us I suppose.  Hopefully others will learn too.

And KM3 aired the "story" last night on their nightly news. While there were a couple things not perfectly accurate (I said 2 instead of 3 rods in Spencer's legs, etc) I thought that the story was nicely done, it shows small parts of my reality--our new life.

Here is a link to their site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such an amazing interview!

I thought of you this morning. A close friend had come upon the scene right after it happened and immediately called us.

We notified our bus driver so he could take another route, we called school just as we had done on Aug 11th, and I thought about calling you. There was such a short window of time and I debated with myself long enough that I was sure that you had already left home.

I was worried about you and the boys. I knew that it was hard for us to drive by things/places that reminded us of the scene. For many months we would avoid it whenever possible. We would alter our routes just to not face it.

To be surprised with this this morning had to have been tough for all of you. I'm sorry!

Sonya

kelly said...

That was really well done. I'm glad that you are sharing your story in hopes that some will decide not to drink and drive.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.