Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Whew, What a Week!

This has been the best week I've had in over 3 months.  By far.  It's amazing how a little distraction and fun can lighten up moods.  It HAS been a very busy week though, so in a quick summary....2 psychologist appointments, 1 Relief Society Meeting, 1 outpatient surgery for Justin, 1 trip to the zoo, 1 visit to Ted E. Bear Hollow, 2 days of Stake Conference, another couple appointments, 3 kids and 1 mom with a cold (including Carson's first cold and first fever, ugh!), 1 visit to the Mormon Trail Center and Pioneer Cemetery, 1 visit to walk across the pedestrian bridge, and last but definitely not least, 1 visit from a good "old" friend.

Friends are an interesting part of our lives.  While family sticks with you (generally, and hopefully they do for most people) through the thick and thin in life, it's nice to have supportive friends--and there's nothing that compares to having a good old friend around.  I think maybe there's something about connecting with friends on a different level than family.  Our families know us on one level and our friends on a different level.  Both important, but both different--but BOTH very very important.

I've been so glad to have an old friend stay with us this week as we've tackled a lot of life's tasks--it's nice to have an adult around with whom to have a conversation!  It's also nice to have a friend around during all the day to day tasks--getting kids showered, clothed, fed, and homework completed.  It's funny how it really is those simple things that make a difference in my sanity!

It felt so good to LAUGH.  Yes, a few tears shed too during her visit.  But this week I've just needed some good laughter.  Ahh.  We broke out some of my old high school boxes and yearbooks.  We found Kevin Federline in my school yearbook and laughed.  We found my old journals and letters others had written to me--and laughed.  A lot.  Particularly about the writers of letters.  She was with me when I got another reporter's business card left on my front door, when I was given phone calls to be notified that the defendant had been out of custody to go to court, and then the phone call when he was put back in custody.  She drove with me on the road where the crash happened.  She helped fold my laundry and wash dishes.  She got to see a glimpse of Omaha and the people that I love here.  It just felt good.  She was here for our first snow of the year; she was here to witness the service of others' to our family--services of snow shoveling, bringing a plant, phone calls, cards in the mail, and of bringing pumpkin bars.  I'm glad she could see that so many are so kind and keep watch over us here.   She was here to really see what my world is all about now, while others can only imagine what it must be like in this seemingly mythical life.  She was here for the 3 month mark of Adam's death.

I'm grateful for this friend.  I love her and admire her.  It's interesting to have known someone since they were a 1 1/2 years old.   A lot happens in 30 years!  I'm grateful to have had her visit.  It gave me a renewed sense that I can go on, that amidst the crazy that somehow I'll survive this.  Because I--we--will.  Maybe a bit defiantly, but we will.

I have a new insight on a scripture.

Proverbs 3: 5-6
5) Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

He shall.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I love this post. I also love the quote by Elder Holland on the side. I remember reading this last year and it really striking me to the core. I read it like 20 times again after too. It's so true, after Ryan passed, and even during his short little life, I never had experiences like I did at that time. And I am so grateful for those experience. I hope you have read, most of the general conference talks from fall of 2008, it was a Godsend to me, so comforting.

kelly said...

I have only realized in the last year or so how nice and important it is to have good friends. I used to think that my husband was really the only friend I needed. I'm glad you have good friends and that one was able to come and be with you!

Tay and Teigan said...

So glad you had a good week! And so glad you have such a wonderful friend!

H said...

Yay for a good week! You deserve it :)

wright said...

What a beautiful post! So glad that you had a great friend to share it with! Love ya!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.