Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Klepto and Cold

Carson has a cold.  Again.  Awesome.  And sorry to my friends who have been/will babysit him.  I find it interesting that his favorite thing to babble is "Dadadada."  I've taken to following up that jabber with, "Dadadada loves you you you."  Hopefully he'll know that as he grows.

Spencer.  Oh Spencer.  I keep finding things in his pockets.  I like to think of him like a good character from a Mark Twain novel, and if I close my eyes I picture him skipping along outside in overalls, holding frogs and running around bare footed.  Twice this week I have found him holding my wedding ring--and trying to quickly hide it when I found out.  And yes, I freaked out.  A few minutes ago I found him hiding Adam's "leatherman" all purpose tool thing (it has a knife in it).  And he's been finding pencils (that I have hidden!) and putting them in his pockets.  UGH!  Spencer is all boy and keeps me on my toes.  He just informed me that he hasn't had lunch.  I asked what he'd like to eat and he replied, "Apples, string cheese, cookies, pears, and beans."  BEANS??? Whatever.  And then as an afterthought he said, "prentzels (pretzels)."  He's a funny kid.  But the "terrible 3s" definitely apply to this child.  He is his own little person.  We just think lots of happy thoughts concerning Spencer....

Justin and I visited the cardiologist office today to get his heart checked out.  He had an echocardiogram because when he had some surgery last month, the anesthesiologist noted a murmur.  I half didn't believe her, and she could tell I was shocked and handed me her stethoscope.  I listened and sure enough I could hear it.  I watched the echo today, but the tech stayed tight-lipped (like she was supposed to) so we'll see what it means in a couple days.  I did notice something seemingly odd with one of his valves (which I 'think' is the issue).....but I really don't know enough about cardio to make any intelligent judgement.  Praying that it was "nothing" and that he'll be just fine.  He needs to be.

So thankful for the sweet santas who have been so kind to our family this season.  We are grateful for so many kind thoughts, gestures, and prayers in behalf of our family.  Holidays certainly aren't easy, particularly when we've made so many family traditions--traditions are tough to change when one of the partcipants is missing.  I guess it's good that we don't have a million of them or I'd really be having a rough time.  It's tough though.  And there are millions out there just like me.  My advice: do something nice for those who've lost a loved one years ago....I imagine that things get easier eventually, but for those many years later when other people have "forgotten" and moved on with their lives, I imagine THAT must be really tough.  I don't want to think about what that will be like.

1 comment:

Lirpa said...

I had a realization earlier this month that despite my having always had good, loving holidays, lots of people have not--because of loss, or money, or other negative experiences. And that means that a large part of the population dreads or loathes this time of year, because of its associations. Gave me a whole new perspective on being sensitive to others' feelings this time of year and how hard it must be for many.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.