Monday, April 11, 2011

Just a Monday

I think I'm always amazed by how all over the place my brain can be on a given day.

The day started off great by a nice walk through a friend's neighborhood. I'd forgotten how much exercise I can get from pushing a double stroller up and down hills! Whew. But I really enjoyed chatting with her.

Got a nap. It was needed. AND. I got both little boys to sleep at the same time, that was huge! Yay!

Then, Adam's sweet cousin sent me in the mail copies of letters he'd written to her while he was serving as a missionary for two years in Guatemala. I thought these would be fun to look through. I started flipping through them and read his cousin's note that mentioned that he used to always stick a chiquita banana sticker on the backs of each envelope. This got to me. Justin always takes fruit stickers off of fruit and puts them on his clothes. I've ruined several of his shirts by sending those shirts through the wash and then the dryer. While I sat in the parking lot, picking up J from school, I looked through this pile of notes. I looked over to my friend Shannon who was parked next to me and we rolled down our windows. I told her of the sticker and just started bawling. Shannon got out of her car and we hugged through the window and cried together. It's nice to have friends who know how to mourn with those who mourn.

Then I made dinner. It was time I got out of my rut and made a real dinner, something I would enjoy. Kid food gets pretty old, and I don't have Adam to cook for...so my love of cooking has gone bye bye. I made a family favorite and realized partway through it how it was one of Adam's favorite meals. I remember early on in our marriage making it for him and blindfolding him and taking him to sit on the bluff at Woodward park and eating this meal with him. It was a good memory, but I cried anyway, realizing that this was one of his favorites. Argh.

Spencer told me after dinner, "Mommy, I love you because you do nice things." He was referring to cooking dinner. Well..he was referring to the fact that I also made brownies for our family night treat. Funny boy.

And I determined we needed to get reading the Book of Mormon, or at least back on track with our reading. If we get it read once through this year, I will be pleased. We are so slow. But it's ok. Like tonight, we discussed a lot of things as we read, so I don't think its bad that we are far behind our schedule to get it read by June. We were reading 2 Nephi chapter 9 (sorry, I can't link it since I'm mobile blogging). We talked a lot about Adam and Eve and the concept of transgression versus sin. While some believe that it was 'bad' that Adam and Eve partook of the fruit in the Garden of Eden, we believe they understood a higher purpose, understood that they needed bodies in order to fulfill a higher law of multiplying and replenishing the earth. I'm always amazed at how smart Justin is, how much he just gets. I'm grateful he has his daddy's smarts. We had a really good discussion, a discussion that turned into a discussion about the Atonement and the need for Christ to suffer for us so that we all can be resurrected someday, just like He was. I love when things just click for Justin. I love to watch the wheels turn in his head.

All in all, a good day. Carson's big molars are almost through...they've seemed to take forever to pop through, I've felt them under the surface for a while. I often wonder what sort of parallel that is for my life...like, what's next? What does God have in store for me next and how long will it take before it surfaces. I won't say I'm anxiously awaiting whatever it is, but I am excited to know that life moves on and I need to be prepared for whatever might be thrown my way next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.