Roughly two years ago, I had a meeting with some leaders at church. I remember in hushed voices as I was told about this one lady, this one "young widow" who was left with 2 children. I didn't know her, but I very distinctly remember the conversation "about" this woman. I remember the pity, the sorrow I felt for her. How awful, I thought to myself. How interesting that the tables can turn in the blink of an eye!
I have been meaning to chat with this woman over the past nearly 8 months. Last night I finally got to talk with her. She's a neat woman. Her husband passed away 8 years ago due to complications with Leukemia. Her daughters were 3 and 7 when he passed away. It was very interesting talking to her, and peering a bit into my future. Thinking about how we'll get through things, but mostly as I imagined my kids as teenagers or tweens. What a bizarre thought! It's amazing what the past 8 years has brought to my life--three kids (and all this other stuff)--but to think about the possibilities for the next 8 years, wow. I'm glad to have (finally) really met this woman and to have been able to chat a bit. I think she'll be a great person to get to know. I'm so grateful for the connections I've gained through widowhood. These connections with new friends really do help make all this doable.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.