There isn't anything like a little bleach to make me feel better. I don't know, it just makes me feel alive, full of goals, makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. Probably because cleaning 3 bathrooms IS an accomplishment. But I was thinking about bleach and the symbolism it is for me (yes, I came up with this set of thoughts as I was happily using my Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and my Chlorox toilet wand. I suppose we have the ability to learn in any circumstance we are in!).
White is such a bright, light, perfect, pure color (or lack of color...I can hear Adam commenting on this in my head). It is interesting what bleach does--whitens, cleans, removes stains, disinfects. Bleach has the ability to purify water. It makes even the muckiest water drinkable.
Today it was bleach that gave me a new gusto. It did all of the things in the above paragraph to my bathrooms (they really needed it!). But it reminded me of my purpose. No. I don't believe my purpose is to clean bathrooms (I actually DO believe part of my purpose however is to teach my boys how to properly clean bathrooms though!). But I think I was reminded today that I have purpose, meaning, strength beyond my own that I have the ability on which to take claim. I feel like it is my right.
Satan has power to make us forget, to make us feel worthless, purposeless, unfulfilled. And yet we have so much capacity, so much ability, so much power. We have the power to be better, to do better, to act.
I find it interesting that lately I will come across a really great thought, insight, or prompting. And it seems almost as quickly as I have these good thoughts, a bad thought tries to take over--tries to tear me down, tries to make me forget what insights I was having, and puts me in a bad mood. I've never had experiences quite this stark, this strange before. But I am able to recognize them when I have them--and where they come from. I am very well aware that Satan works in ways that he is familiar with--he knows us, knows our weaknesses, knows how to push our buttons. And push them, he does.
Somehow though, we can come off conqueror daily. For me, I have to work minutes at a time. I was talking to Spencer this morning. I was explaining how his 3 year old little body has so much influence, so much power for good or bad. When he is grumpy, we are all grumpy. When he is happy, so are we. I know I struggle. I know that Satan works to bring me--and my whole house really-- to bring us down sometimes. Or seemingly a lot of times lately. Yet I know what brings us happiness.
Most of the time we just need a little bleach. Sometimes literal, sometimes figurative. I need bleach to remind me that my bathrooms can be clean again and I can hope that the cleanliness will give me some joy. But I'm aware that I need figurative bleach all the time. I need the cleansing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ to strengthen me, help me, and cause me to stand. I need it daily. I know that it is the only sure thing, in a world of uncertainty and turmoil, that will and does bring me happiness--through repentence, it is how I can become whole. I need my Savior's unfeining love and assurance. I need Him to stand by me, particularly when I feel utterly and completely alone. And He will. And He does. It is His promise. How grateful I am for bleach.
8 comments:
what a great thought, pretty sure you have a talk ready in case you are asked to speak :) the whole bleach thing made me smile because i just had a friend tell me the same thing the other day. she loves her bleach and the smell!
What a beautiful post, Melissa. I loved it. I appreciate reading all your posts, but I think I needed the message in this one. I am grateful for bleach too.
"Satan has power to make us forget, to make us feel worthless, purposeless, unfulfilled. And yet we have so much capacity, so much ability, so much power. We have the power to be better, to do better, to act."
Thank you. I've completely forgotten this concept and yet at this moment it is so poignant for me, on so very many levels, thank you.
If it weren't Sunday today I would be cleaning my two bathrooms. I guess tomorrow will be the day, they REALLY need it.
It's amazing how quickly and easily we can get down. I needed that message, thanks.
Just a comment to say I am always inspired by your thoughts- and you are an amazing writer. I'll be thinking about bleach today- literally and figuratively- and suddenly I have the urge to clean my toilet :)
Wonderful analogy, Melissa. I agree with Amber - talk ready! You are such an intelligent, spiritually strong latter-day woman/wife/mother. You have wisdom beyond your young years.
i love the new look of your blog! that pic of the oakland temple is so beautiful. i haven't seen that one before. i do have a dslr, it is a cannon. it is frustrating and addicting at the same time. hopefully one day my exposures will look normal :) i've gotten some pretty good ones using the automatic buttons though. it looks like you have one too? it's a fun hobby.
You may not remember me but my name is Rachelle Harlin. (maiden name was Moore) I was in the Madera 1st ward with Lani Hyer. You and I knew eachother a little since we were the same age and in the same stake.
I came across your blog through my sister-in-laws, Laurie Moore. I appreciate your honesty about this unexpected turn in your life. I can see by your posts that the Lord is with you every step of the way blessing you with the strength to continue on in your life journey. Your faith and testimony you share through your posts is inspiring.
It has strengthened my testimony of the fact that no matter what happens in this earth life, no matter how painful and seemingly unbearable, the Lord will be there to give us the strength to continue to progress and learn so we can become more like him. I can see this in your posts. I can see the Lord's tender mercies in the experiences you share.
Thank You.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.