Friday, July 22, 2011

All is Well

I have pondered on this for a while. I've debated whether to share it, but I feel prompted to finally put this in words. So here goes.

One of the most peaceful places on earth is in an LDS temple That may sound like a bold statement, but it is something I feel very deeply about. I enjoy having a quiet place to meditate, to think, to ponder. But going to a temple is truly unlike any other place on earth. It is the House of God, so I suppose it makes sense that so much peace can be found therein.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we don't discuss in depth what goes on inside the temple. This is not because we view the temple as "secret" but more that we view the temple as sacred--tender to our hearts. In the temple, all people have the opportunity to be sealed together as families forever. The idea of "til death do us part" is non existent with sealings in the temple, for we believe that families sealed in the temple can endure together beyond the grave. We also believe that anyone can have this blessing--it is simply a matter of keeping the commandments of God and being "worthy" by keeping covenants with God, choosing to live our lives a certain way. People who attend the temple are not perfect and don't profess to be. They are striving to do and be better. Serving in temples helps us rededicate our lives to our Heavenly Father and helps us focus on the purpose of life.

Adam and I were married in the Oakland, California temple (the picture in the upper right corner of my blog). It is a beautiful temple that overlooks the Bay Area of California. We were pleasantly surprised to find when we moved to Omaha that there is a temple here too--the Winter Quarters temple which is located in the north part of Omaha, in Florence. Winter Quarters holds much historical significance for the people of our church. Adam and I had a chance to do a little road trip when we were first married and drove by many of the temples on the west coast of the U.S. But when we got to Omaha and saw this temple, the significance for what we do in the temple changed. The grounds of the Winter Quarters temple are adjacent to the burial grounds of many Mormon pioneers who died while crossing the plains, moving westward. I've always found the juxtaposition of this temple to be facinating. In the temple we do work for our ancestors, to link us together as families. There are those who've come before us who have not been sealed to their spouses and children. Members of our church feel the urgency and desire to link our families together. In temples we have the opportunity to do so.

Adam and I used to attend this temple together. We loved it. It is a beautiful place. Cemeteries generally always sort of creeped Adam out. But there is a special peace about the Mormon Pioneer Cemetery next to the temple that is reassuring. Comforting.

With Adam buried in California, I have sort of claimed this cemetery as "mine" where I go when I want to be near those who've gone before me. I can feel Adam with me when I go. In this cemetery is a rather large plaque (set of plaques, actually) that outline names of those who were buried at the cemetery. Some of the names are incomplete (some don't have a last name listed) and some do not have an age. But the last time I visited the cemetery, I scanned the names listed. A variety of ages of people who died there are listed. But interestingly enough, I noted that no one age 33 was listed. I saw 32 and 34, but no 33. I feel like Adam was the 33.

The words to a well-known Mormon pioneer hymn are listed on this plaque surrounding the names of the deceased. Knowing the historical significance to this hymn, I cry every time I hear it. This hymn gives me comfort. This hymn has different meaning for me now.

Words to "Come, Come Ye Saints"

1. Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
’Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell—
All is well! All is well!


2. Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
’Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we’ll have this tale to tell—
All is well! All is well!


3. We’ll find the place which God for us prepared,
Far away in the West,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the Saints will be blessed.
We’ll make the air with music ring,
Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we’ll tell—
All is well! All is well!


4. And should we die before our journey’s through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we’ll make this chorus swell—
All is well! All is well!


Text: William Clayton, 1814–1879

Music: English folk song


As a sidelight, there is a amazingly beautiful bronze statue exhibit at the Mormon Trail Center right now, which is across the street from the temple and the cemetery. The statues are representations on the life of Christ (It is titled the Healing Power of Jesus Christ). It will be there through the end of July (not much time left!) so go take a look. I was amazed. As always, the Trail Center is free (nope, no donations accepted).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.