Friday, July 15, 2011

Conversations

I'll start with our dinner conversation because it amused me:

Spencer started talking about braces (they were at my friend's house today--my friend's son has braces). Spencer wanted to know when he was going to get braces and I had to inform him that hopefully he won't have to have braces like Justin will have to someday (he didn't inherit his dad's nice, naturally straight teeth). I told Spencer that he doesn't have his adult teeth yet so we don't know yet how things will pan out. Then I told him that he has baby teeth and told him that baby teeth are called "deciduous teeth." (I enjoy giving them big words to use in proper context, it makes me smile!):) So, thinking that Justin would be amused with this word, Justin says, "Hmm. Deciduous teeth. Mom, aren't they called, 'Milk teeth?'" Yes, Justin--that too. You always have to one-up me, Mr. Smartypants.

Earlier today I was talking about the growing pile of stuff that I'm getting rid of. My sister in law is going to have a baby and moving and they are inheriting quite a bit of our 'old' stuff. Lots of baby stuff. Hopefully. I've been reading about the term "closure" that people use a lot in my Widows Wear Stilettos book--how it's such an absurd term, since there is never "closure" with the death of a spouse. So I guess I won't call it closure that I need with regards to having babies but for peace of mind I need certain things out of my home, it is past due time. I told Justin and Spencer that "the block" toy was going to be given to Jon and Alyson and Justin freaked out on me. "BUT MOM! What if you have MORE BABIES??!!" This worried me instantly. While we haven't had the "complete talk," Justin and I have talked enough about the subject...so I worried that he had misunderstood somehow. I told him, "Well, I won't be having any more babies. You understand why, right?" "Yeah Mom, I do, because Dad is gone. But what if we have another dad and you have more babies? All three of us have used that toy, and the other babies would need to use it TOO!!" Whoa. It was then that I informed him that IF that is ever even an issue, the baby (or babies) would be getting new baby stuff. Not sure he liked that answer. He's been talking more and more (as has Spencer) about getting a "new dad." I see that having a dad is important to them (obviously). I find it all very interesting since I haven't even been on a "date" technically. Not that they would even understand what a "date" is, or that I would need to date before marrying someone. I'm sure that they don't understand the process or timeline of things. **BIG SIGH** Dads are very important. Husbands are very important.

I'm constantly amazed by my children. Their strength, their ability to teach me. It is constant.

Carson said "ju" for juice and "ilk" for milk at dinner tonight. Every day new little sounds. How I love that little baby. My boys make me laugh. Little laughs. I have to leave good belly laughs for the only two tv shows that make me "really" laugh right now: The Big Bang Theory (mostly because of jokes Adam and I had about one of the characters in the show) and Everybody Loves Raymond (again, more inside jokes). I'm glad that those two shows I can sit and laugh and know Adam would be laughing with me if he could.

Following an idea I had heard about, as the matriarch of our home, I have decided to delegate some of my responsibilities. Justin is now in charge of family scripture study, Spencer is now in charge of asking members of our family to pray at family prayer and meal time prayers, and Carson (ha!) is in charge of making sure we have Family Night on Monday nights. Justin and Spencer are excited about their new responsibilities, and I figured making each member of our family in charge of some aspect of our spiritual life is important. We'll see how it goes; the suggestion is more geared towards older children in families, but I figured we can adapt it. I am in charge of so much, it's nice to "pretend" that they are really in charge of something. I still oversee everything.

And in good news, the wasp spray worked on the wasp nest. Thanks Gregg for coming to our rescue so we can open our front door. Crisis averted. For today. It's why I bought a three pack of wasp spray.

1 comment:

Stacy Ellison said...

I just LOVE your kiddos! They are amazing. I'm pretty sure they inherited it! and HOORAY for Gregg, He always comes to the rescue!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.