Friday, July 29, 2011

Etiquette

The best piece of mail I have received in a long time was a recent wedding reception invite. This might sound very trivial, yet it meant SO MUCH to me. Not only is the date of their wedding dodging any historically significant difficult dates for me (I'm sure it just happened to work that way) but I have saved this envelope because it is addressed "correctly." It reads "Mrs. Adam Smith." Yep. That's right--that is how widows are to be addressed. Maybe not all widows find this comforting but I do. I remember being utterly offended when I received my first "Ms. Melissa Smith" piece of mail. I will never be "Ms." Even if I never remarry. I hate "Ms." So thank you cute cousin J for this invite. It has made me smile over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.