...I can be a little (or more than a little) negative on my blog. I was reading a post that someone had written on a young widows forum that I belong to last night that mentioned how unproductive and BAD it is for the healing purposes of people to be negative online. This particular woman is a psychologist who clearly was influenced by her professsion in her thoughts. I suppose I should also mention that on this forum, I'm more of a stalker than a poster--it has been a good source for me to read than actually comment on I suppose. So my initial reaction was to get defensive when she mentioned the notion that people have been posting too much negative and not enough positive. The thoughts in my head were, "Seriously? You want happy thoughts when each of these people is going through their own set of hell? REALLY?" But I slept on it. I love that sometimes thinking on things overnight is a wise decision. A therapist told Adam and I one time that the notion people have of "never going to sleep angry" is one of the absolute worst things and sometimes people SHOULD go to sleep angry just so they have a fresh slate to start with in the morning, instead of saying potentially hurtful things to their spouse while they are tired and attempting to come to some sort of resolve at night. In this instance, I needed a break to think on this.
So I am still thinking this morning on the negativity idea. I have always been one to believe that 95% of life is more about attitude instead of just simply what happens to a person. This isn't to say that I'm a rosy, non-negative thinker! I am certain that if I added up my blog posts, there would probably be more negative than positive. I'm glad that this is a place that I feel comfortable spewing whatever comes to me (within reason....you'd be surprised what I do actually hold back!). That said, this whole "positive factor" is something I need to look at more closely in my life. I'm going to attempt it and see how things go. No, this isn't a promise for lack of negativity, but an attempt at more positive amidst the negative I suppose. We'll see how it goes. I need to be able to be real and state the negative and the positive, but hopefully I can more fully acknowledge the positive daily.
Today is a new day. On the agenda...laundry, a trip to the gym, pancakes for breakfast, Justin hanging out with a buddy, and a Relief Society meeting tonight. I need to put away winter clothes desperately as they are overflowing the boys drawers...so maybe that is an ambitious goal, but I'd really like that. Carson peed in my bed, so sheets and mattress pad washing are on the list too. Finding some addresses for more thank you notes would be good. And I'm scheduling myself a nap too. Keeping fingers crossed for that. Oh yeah, and a successful day #4 of pottytrainig for Spencer. Hopefully the novelty won't wear off yet!! Yesterday was an almost perfect attempt, yay! Another underwear day. Heaven help me! :)
2 comments:
I totally agree about going to sleep angry. I heard a great quote one time, "Never go to sleep angry, stay up and fight." When you are tired everything seems so much worse, sometimes if you just go to sleep, when you wake up you realize that you really don't have a problem, you were just tired and sensitive.
A couple of things...I think it's ok to go to bed angry, because like the comment before me, everything seems worse when you're tired, and sometimes the morning brings a fresh perspective - or at least more energy :)
As for the negativity: I do think being positive goes a long way toward governing your mood and outlook, but I also believe you need to allow yourself to feel whatever you're feeling, at least to some degree, otherwise you bottle things up, think you're doing fine, and then one day all those feelings you didn't allow yourself to have come rearing their ugly heads and you're back at square one. I guess maybe there's just no right answer,and you do the best you can, one day at a time :)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.