I don't know how I missed reading this one this month but it's a great talk. Excellent, actually.
My mom told me on the phone this morning that Elder Oaks mentioned his mother in this article, so broke it out. Yes, he did indeed. Here's an exerpt from the complete talk, and then the link to the whole thing. Great reading. This woman gives me so much hope and strength. When I don't know how I'm going to make it I just tell myself that she did it--and raised amazing children. Somehow, I'll do it too. Somehow!
"My faithful widowed mother had no confusion about the eternal nature of the family relationship. She always honored the position of our faithful deceased father. She made him a presence in our home. She spoke of the eternal duration of their temple marriage and of our destiny to be together as a family in the next life. She often reminded us of what our father would like us to do so we could qualify for the Savior’s promise that we could be a family forever. She never referred to herself as a widow, and it never occurred to me that she was. To me, as a boy growing up, she wasn’t a widow. She had a husband, and we had a father. He was just away for a while."
Fundamental to Our Faith, Elder Dallin H. Oaks. Ensign, January 2011
4 comments:
WOW. that is an amazing quote. i'll have to read the rest of the talk soon.
also, your advice in the last post was really great.
That made me all teary eyed. That seriously was a beautiful quote, I'd never thought about it that way. Melissa, you are seriously my strength. I told Ammon the other day, you get it....unlike no one else, you get my life. You don't sugar coat anything, you understand and help me get through it. I just wish we lived a whole lot closer. I love that you are real, I love that you don't fake any emotions and I love that you gain strength from the gospel. You seriously are a light to so many...thank you, thank you for your email. It changed me outlook greatly. Luv you tons!!!
that is awesome :0)
I too had read this talk to Harvard last year and thought it was amazing. Then I read the excerpt in the Ensign this morning and remembered again how Elder Oaks is able to explain the gospel in such an articulate and defining way. I'm glad you are gaining inspiration and determination from his mother's life. It certainly has parallels to what you are going through now. Elder Oaks mother seems like a great example to role model.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.