Crazy in my head tonight (and the boys were quite crazy too), so I sat down at the piano (it was pretty dusty, I might add. I need to sit there more often apparently, it's therapeutic). First, I started singing the hymn, "Let Us Oft Speak Kind Words to Each Other," to which Justin thought I was actually making up the song--he was fairly amused. I informed him that my mom used to sing that to us kids when we were being obnoxious and rude to each other. And so I follow in her footsteps--singing....she wasn't obnoxious and rude (well, I suppose the singing of that song was a bit obnoxious!)!
Anyway, I played him the hymn and he said he hadn't heard it before. I think that might've been a silly comment on his part. It's almost as silly as saying, "Mom, I'm bored," because...of course moms don't let you stay bored. And so, he will learn "Let Us Oft..." a lot from here on out. I have a feeling that Spencer might learn this song even better than Justin though!:)
Then, I was thinking back to the hymns used at the funeral, memorial service, and at the burial. I love them all and I'm glad I picked them.
I love that Justin knew both "How Firm a Foundation" and even the extra 4th verse to "I Am a Child of God," which we sang at the burial. It was nice to have him sit next to me and sing out, kind of like it was nice that Spencer was singing with me at the funeral.
I'm also really glad that I asked Brandon Ellison to organize a musical number. I imagined Adam being pleased that these men, his friends, sang. They are quite talented. And I'm glad that Brandon Ellison chose to sing, "Be Still My Soul," at the funeral. It was perfect and I will reflect on it probably the rest of my life. I sat down at the piano tonight and sang it to the kids and pondered on the words.
1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Music: Jean Sibelius, 1865–1957. © 1900 Breitkopf & Härtel. Arr. copyright, 1933, by the Presbyterian Board of Christian Education; renewed, 1961; from The Hymnal. Used by permission of The Westminister John Knox Press, Philadelphia, PA.
2 comments:
I have enjoyed catching up on your posts. You are a great writer. And I have to agree, hymns are so powerful. I love that your mom used to sing that to you as kids, that is so cute. "Be Still My Soul" is such a powerful, moving song. It was especially moving at Adam's funeral, they all did such a wonderful job. We have some talented people in our midst don't we? :) The second verse stands out to me the most . . . God will guide the future, as he has the past. Very powerful and comforting.
This is one of my favorites. You mentioning the songs that were at Adam's funeral reminded me of my parents funerals and how often at church we'll start to sing one of the songs from them and I won't realize till almost half way through why it's making me choke up a little. I think my brain is funny like that because I hold on to the information, but it's almost like it's under a shadow and it'll just peek out and show itself all of a sudden, only to slink back in the shadow again. It's a peek-a-boo of memories. I don't know if it's my subconscious self just trying to protect me from the sorrow, or if it's totally normal and I'm just trying to make it out to be something more than it is!! :) Ok, sorry for the randomness of that moment.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.