to be a mom. But, it's really tough to be a single mom. There are so many times during the day, and particularly the evening, when I know what I 'would've' done in a situation--wail "Addaammm. Please take this kid!" And he would. And it would make everything better for all of us. It's really tough to be a mom AND dad, and again (sorry, this IS a repetitive statement that I say continuously) it REALLY isn't fair to be both. In our church, focus is always on family--being worthy to be married in the temple, keeping our lives in a certain order so that we can be worthy at all times really. And the focus is on the ideal, marriage between a man and woman who have children. I think it's heartbreaking that the ideal isn't always possible, that divorce happens, women don't find a suitable man to marry, men have this problem too at times, and the like. BUT it's really frustrating when Adam and I had worked so hard at our marriage, to make things work even when they were difficult, to have what we worked SO hard to develop be taken away by an idiot making a stupid choice. Justin said to me today,"Not many people have their dad die on the first day of school." And sadly, yes, he's right. I'd venture to say that he is one of a handful of people that can say such a thing.
One of the parts of my grieving today has been on money. Now, it may sound to some as a terrible thing to grieve about, and might even think "How could you think such a horrible thought?!" And yet, it is a real part of my grief. Adam and I had BOTH worked so hard so that we could have a comfortable life. A very comfortable life. It would be unwise or sound particularly terrible of me if I actually listed the dollars and cents of this because, well...radiology is kind of one of those "big" secrets....radiologists (in private practice) make one of the highest salaries of any doctor. And while some politicians believe that the rich only get richer and that the richest should be taxed higher than anyone because they "have more"--I'm here to tell you that that line of thinking is a complete load of crap. It is. I have watched my husband and supported him through some of the most difficult years of his life for him to reap the rewards of his education--in theory, he was to reap them anyway. He didn't sit on his fanny during any of this LONG process (he did 5 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, and was in his last of 5 years of residency. That adds up to 14 years POST high school). He got up at 2 or 3 am some days to study like a maniac; he studied on weekends and holidays. He faithfully attended classes, shelled out a gazillion dollars because he 'thought' it would be worth it in the end, that he'd help people with his wealth of knowledge and that his family could eventually live a comfortable lifestyle for our hard work helping him achieve his goals. And it was thrown away in an instant by someone else. That is crap. It angers me. And while I will instead be the "poor" one instead of the monetarily "rich" one, I won't ever poo-poo the so-called rich doctors for all their money that they've earned, because, even as terrible as our healthcare system can be (and I've now REALLY seen how the system works, by the way), those doctors earn every darn penny they get. And it just makes me sad that Adam won't get every darn penny he deserves--and his little boys, and yes, me too. It's terrible. And...maybe a bit unbecoming of me to discuss. But I didn't calculate and list out the millions he would've made (as I have in my mind)....and just know that they were many, many. Oh, as mad as I am....I know Adam is fuming somewhere else. I only wish he could send down a few lightning bolts to a certain someone...a preview, if you will, for what is to come to him someday. Yep. Today is "ANGER" in the so-called steps of grief for me.
8 comments:
Melissa, This is far too selfish for me to comment, but can I just thank you for pointing out how much these doctors go through to eventually get to the point where they are finally "rich". I have had a terrible day today-one of those torturous ones where I just had to think "someday this will all be worth it" over and over. To read your post today made my day so much better-I feel so grateful for the chance to go through this even on a terrible day for me. Thanks for the post (and for pointing out how much the families of doctors go through on the road...).
Also, I cannot tell you how many times I have thought of how unfair it is that you and Adam had to go through this part of med school and residency and will not get to reap the "eventual" benefits. How many times have all of us medical wives talked about the "someday"? I understand "mourning the money" and being angry about it and I do not fault you for it one bit!
Of course you have EVERY right. That, besides the emotional aspect of your marriage, is something else you guys were working for. It's not unbecoming, because it's what is real. Besides the heartache that all of the family is going through, you have the added burden, as his wife, of having to deal with the leftover part of that, which the rest of us don't have. As far the lightning bolts, karma will hit. It's good to be angry sometimes.
A big thumbs up for you. Honesty is so difficult for many people, especially women. I think you are wonderful for all of your honesty and sincerity.
It's not terrible for you to mention. It is definitely something to mourn. It breaks my heart every time you mention the simple, but very real and heartbreaking statements your boys make. Lots of love your way Melissa. I hope you feel the prayers and thoughts throughout the day. Wish there was something more any of us could do...
Definitely not unbecoming of you and it most definitely is "crap". That was a reward that you, Adam, and the boys deserved every part of and it has been taken away by one person's bad choice. The loss of that is something to be mourned. Every time I am with you I am amazed by your grace, strength, and solid foundation. Like President Hinckley said, it's your faith that will allow you to press forward, but part of your strength comes from facing all of these emotions in an honest and real way.
Thank you for being so sincere and wonderful, Melissa. I so wish we could fix this for you. Maybe I will add lightening bolts to my prayers too? :) Much love.
The loss of the monetary blessings that were so close is one of the first I thought of, don't feel bad for mourning that. You had to put up with a lot during all of that schooling, it was a reward that you'll no longer get. It sure is unfair how badly we can be effected by someone else's mistakes.
i am not sure how long ago you lost your husband. it has been nearly 3 years for me. i am glad you are writing your feelings. it has totally helped me to write my feelings in my blog. in the beginning, that is the only way that i got some of my feelings out. and i still have times where i want to just vent on my blog and get it all out. it feels like such a safe place to vent because while you are still letting people know how you feel, you don't have to feel like you are burdening anyone in particular by sharing your feelings in person.
that is what i have found anyway.
i have been struggling lately. i am not sure how long it has been for you, but even after almost three years, i am still struggling. i am still waiting for my heart to heal...
with love...
leslie *
It is crap. Complete crap. I agree. It brings the meaning of the word "unfair" to a whole new level. One of the first things I said when I heard of the accident was that it is so tragic for you to lose him after all you've been through, at this point, how darn close you were to being done. I thought you put it well, it is a big part of the tragedy of your situation. It sickens me. But, like you said it's been for others, it's definitely been a wake-up call to Matt and me that this could happen to either of us at any time. We definitely drive more cautiously, and we're increasing Matt's life insurance. I propose that each doctor in the country donates a small percentage of their earnings to widows of doctors, and collectively, you'd have a bunch of money, comparable to what he would've earned. I think it's a good plan, let's suggest it. Love to you!!! Jenn
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.