Need for two separate posts on a couple topics for the day.
First at hand. I went on a date last night. With me, myself, and I. It was my first "real" date since Adam's death, and fittingly it was on the 6 month date of his passing. Adam and I talked the night before he died, joked about things we'd do if the other died. I told him I'd go to the movies by myself. He gawked at it, said I never would. I've always said that if there was a movie I wanted to see and he didn't want to go that I'd totally go by myself. I also told him to go by himself and see all the movies that didn't interest me. He never did. I slept through a couple movies that he wanted to see (yes, even action-packed movies that I clearly didn't want to see!), but somehow he always came with me when I went to see ones he had no interest in seeing...*cough cough* Twilight *cough cough*...sadly, that was our last date--to see that last Twilight movie a couple weeks before he died. I tried to explain that the books were better (while NOT literary classics by ANY means...) than the movies. He said that us "old" women were just cougars and that it wasn't ok to go see hunky teens with their shirts off. He said that HE would be in big trouble if he thought a teen girl was cute and wanted to go watch her in a movie, and so why would there be a double standard for women thinking these Twilight boys were good looking and being "allowed" to go see them at the movies? My contention was that I didn't think they were good looking, it was all about the content and drama of the movie. He didn't buy it. (FYI, I still think Robert Pattinson is a freak-o-nature looking guy. REALLY.)
Anyway, back to my date. I went to go see a movie Adam and I had been waiting to come out in the theaters. My parents were in Hawaii at the time when I got a text from my dad saying that they'd seen Adam Sandler, Nicole Kidman, and that Jennifer Aniston had nearly run him over by a golf cart while they were staying at the Grand Wailea hotel. I googled it and sure enough, there was the movie. Thank goodness for google. I guess the cast and crew were there their entire visit (to which my parents found VERY annoying for their nice relaxing vacation). Adam and I thought it was pretty funny. My dad has had really random encounters with celebrities, many of which have involved plane rides and such. Very bizarre. So the movie (Just Go With It) finally came out and I took myself. And I enjoyed it. And I thought about Adam shaking his head, saying I'd never do it. I guess sitting by myself at a movie theater seriously doesn't bother me. And then I got Kona to go, my fav. Mmm. Macadamia nut chicken. Yum. So, it was all fine and dandy until the lady bringing out my food said I gave her "too much" for a tip. I swear I didn't, but I was like, "Ok, then bring me two bucks back" and she did. Not sure if she was trying to mess with the server who was actually in charge of my food or what. Anyway, that's when I broke down bawling in the car. It was Adam who did all the tipping, OBVIOUSLY. Not MY job. That's definitely a man's job. So whatever. That kind of ruined my nice little night out. Oh well. I still got a good laugh at the movie. Oh the sheep....that was the best part of the whole thing.
Today we were out driving, on an errand, I was listening to the radio, finding some sort of phrase in a song to hyperfocus on as usual and then out of nowhere was my "real" message for the day. It was so funny really, I laughed out loud as soon as I saw it. The van in front of me had the best license plate. Best. It said "HEY WIFE." I kid you not. HEY WIFE! It makes me smile just thinking of it. Adam would periodically refer to me as "wife." Totally not as a put down at all, but he would just say, "Wife." Generally he just referred to me as Melissa, but he did say "wife" when referring to me with others. I liked being his wife. I liked being able to call him my husband. I remember distinctly the first time I called him "my husband" in the Oakland temple after we got married and someone needed something and I said "My husband has it." I remember the words coming out my mouth and feeling odd, like "Wow, I have a husband." Funny. Ahh.
So in response..."Hey to you, Husband."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.