Today was a good day. Homemade potato soup and a few girl scout cookies make any day a little better than average, right? Plus a little (really bad, on my part) ping pong playing and sending Justin to work on his Pinewood Derby car made for a good day.
I determined a way to separate out my journaling too, today. I've been trying to figure out a certain "good" way to organize my thoughts. I've been given some beautiful journals from friends and family. The thing has been, I type a bazillion times faster than I could ever hand-write things. Yet I want to have certain things, certain experiences, certain thoughts, in writing. Plus I haven't been so great at tackling mobile blogging. Someday technology will improve that probably. So I separated my ("other" non-blog) thoughts into three--one journal for insights, learnings, promptings, one for family stories and experiences involving Adam and me, and/or the kids, and one journal for...other thoughts. That will be a journal that I plan to get rid of eventually, one for well...other thoughts. No, it isn't a cursing-angry journal either. Just other thoughts, thoughts that most would (should?) never write anywhere. But thoughts I need to reflect on from time to time for now. Married thoughts.
I spoke with a newly aquired widow friend on the phone tonight. She's young (like me, maybe a tad younger actually) and has been widowed for 2 1/2 years. While some of our situation is different, there is definitely a rapport that young widows/widowers have with each other. It's nice to just be able to know that another person "gets it." All of it. Well, most of it. We found that we have some things in common, in addition to having both lost our spouses. And it's really great because she has a network of young widowed friends, like us. But she lives in Utah, as do her network of other widows. But that's ok. It's just nice that I finally had the courage to call this complete stranger--I don't always do well with THAT kind of confrontation. Email is one thing, but "real" talk is another. I think we ended up talking for an hour and a half. Nice. She is very kind, and well, she just gets IT. Those people are important to find along this whole grieving path. Spousal grief is a very different type of grief that only a widow or widower can have the slightest understanding about.
I read some good talks today. Differing of topics, but great. In case you want to study with me...
Resurrection by Dallin H. Oaks
Living Happily Ever After by Coleen K. Menlove
To All the World in Testimony by Gordon B. Hinckley
and
The Sanctity of Womanhood by Richard G. Scott
2 comments:
Hey Melissa! Thinking of you! You're always commenting on my blog, it makes me smile. I'm glad to hear you like that stroller. It was kind of a big deal to pick out just one, there are SO many options. I can't believe it's just 5 weeks away! Still baby no-name Hennen. I think that's what people now are most excited to hear, what his name is. Did I hear you might pick up a few hours on the floor? I hope I get to work with you before I go oncall!
Melissa... Thank you for posting the links to those talks. Although my trial is different from yours, our family has been going through its own heartbreak for the past three years. The article by Colleen Menlove was just what I needed to read! I love the gospel. I'm so grateful to KNow that Heavenly Father knows me and knows how to comfort me and guide me through the hard days. Thanks again!
PS.. potato soup is one of our favorites too! : )
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.