Saturday, June 9, 2012

I'm 3 for 3 Today

I don't usually find it amusing when my children are "Laman and Lemuel"ing when I ask them to do chores, but probably since Justin just came in my room and asked me, "How again do I use the Soft Scrub when I'm scrubbing the bathroom?" only to go back in the bathroom and grumble about how long it takes to get the filmy scrub off the counters...well, I just think it's funny. He probably wouldn't appreciate the giant smirk on my face right now.

Or, his predicament probably seems funny because I'm VERY excited about my accomplishments for today. I don't know. I think manly chores just get me ultra happy. The sense of accomplishment when I complete things that I don't think that I can do, well they just make me elated.

I woke up this morning to a broken fridge. Or more specifically, I woke up to a leak from my water line to my water filter that snapped sending water into my basement, ruining part of my hard wood floor in my kitchen and an area of my kitchen cupboards. NOT cool. But thankfully it is in an area that isn't seen and it'll dry and life will go on. I had to rig a bowl to catch the water in a weird spot in the basement that involved some use of masking tape, but it worked. And then Gregg came over. Thank heavens for Gregg. Seriously, knowing a handy man is VERY important in widowhood. This man knows it all. So he came over and knew what we needed to do. We isolated the problem, figuring out what refrigerator part was needed. While he went off to a meeting at church this morning, I made the needed calls to this cute little appliance part store that he told me about when he has fixed other appliance problems for me. I went in there with the boys and got what part I needed, showed them the pictures of the problem with the pictures I'd taken on my smart phone (which was a brilliant last minute thought, I might add. Grateful for THAT inspiration because that helped!), and off I went. I knew I could figure out how to install this part, and sure enough I DID IT!!!!! YIPPPEEEE! I think these affirmations are worth more than a million bucks. It spurred me on to finish a couple other things I was dreading/dragging my feet. I got rid of the wasp nests (yes, without a sting), and I hung up the cornice box that I made a couple weeks ago and hadn't had the guts to try to install the wall anchors that I needed. But, as was the case again, often times it just takes some guts to attempt hard things. And voila! Done! Now I just have to let my floor dry out for the next few days and hope that maybe some of the swelling of the wood floor will go down a bit, we shall see.

SO very happy.

Now to nap. This cold is AWEFUL. I really need to figure out a cure to the common cold. I know it's possible. I'm working on it. We'll add that to my long term to-do list. :)

1 comment:

Amber Marie said...

"often times it just takes some guts to attempt hard things" -melissa smith

i'm just going to start quoting you in my talks and lessons. thanks ;) and GREAT JOB on getting those stinky house things figured out- seriously!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.