What a rush of different emotions today! Spencer's cast came off, revealing his scars, incisions, and skinny chicken legs. It was heart breaking to hear him so afraid and crying this morning as they took off his cast. And he was terrified to leave the car--he told me that he just wanted to stay in the van and not come out, into the house. He was so afraid. We're told that he'll be stiff for some days and that then eventually he'll start to attempt to get around on his legs. Eww, it just makes me cringe thinking about the prospect. It's supposed to be another couple weeks before they'd like him to attempt walking, but they said that most kids will attempt once the cast is off and the stiffness wears off. Oh, the thought. We haven't given him the scrub-a-dub-dub bath yet, we're just going slow. Getting him to come inside and lay on his bed was traumatic enough. I just pray that he continues to heal and that he'll be able to walk and do all the things a little boy should do. It's one of those fears I have that I have to push aside for another day, the whole "what if he can't walk" or something. But looking at his scans and seeing the metal in his body and the new bone growth today. Wow. The human body really is truly amazing, a work of art, a work of God.
And I just love Carson's first baby tooth that appeared this week. While a bit painful (for all of us), it's just so cute and pointy. How I love babies. How I wish this weren't my last little one with whom to experience these precious milestones.
I've had some pretty profound insight the past few days. It's amazing what information the Lord can give us when we are prepared. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." I have come across some very important scriptures that have been like my own ah-ha moments, just what I needed to hear. My neighbor asked me for a Book of Mormon and we gave that to her this week, that was fun. I love that book so much, such peace to be found in reading it.
And, where I have found additional peace and solace. I have loved this talk as I have studied it through different trying experiences the past few years. It is an amazing talk, and it's interesting how the message applies to so many difficult situations that try our faith, patience, and endurance. I love love love it.
Written a bit later:
Just finished bathing stinky Spencer. I don't think I've ever seen him so happy in the tub before, or I so happy to have him in there, shedded all the dead skin and ick that lay beneath the cast. Although he was VERY terrified to get in and get out of the tub. He's just so afraid to be moved, afraid of pain. We'll continue to pray for his recovery. But so glad the "green monster"--the color he picked out for his 2nd cast--is finally out of our house. It's one green monster of which no one should ever be jealous.
4 comments:
aww Yay for Spencer!! Ugh cast removal is GREAT! Glad he is healing up well :)
Yeah for the dismissal of the green giant from your house! Let the healing begin!! I am so happy for you and especially for Spencer to have that cast off! Great news!
That is sooo exciting!!!! I remember the same feelings when we got Brynlee's spica cast taken off! It is liberating! She screamed when they sawed it off too! It only took a couple of weeks for her to start walking, I promise. She went through relearning to rolling over, then crawling then walking within a total of a week and was back to normal within about three weeks/month. (She was 19 months when her femur was broken and had her spica for 5 weeks). She's not looked back since. Hopefully you guys experience the same recovery!!! I am so happy you get to hug him and snuggle with him again. He'll be running around in no time! ;-D
I love that talk as well, Melissa. thanks for reminding me about it. I keep several of Elder Maxwells talks on adversity and trials in my files. We love you so much and look forward to seeing you and family next week.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.