Monday, September 6, 2010

A Day of Labor

Yes it was.  I suppose I should really read about what Labor Day is really all about.  But I'd have to say, like many moms do, that I have my own definition of what it means to labor.  Of course, there's the actual bearing of children that is a huge labor of love...but (as I've found) the real laboring comes in raising children.  And I have a new appreciation for single moms and all they do.  And my mom hasn't even left yet.  But my eyes are being opened for the future.  This evening's hours of tantrums leave my ears still ringing.

Today's Labor Day activities included my dad's making of his famous french toast for breakfast (my fav), I started the daunting task of cleaning/organizing my bedroom, learning how to use the external hard drive that I insisted Adam buy to backup our computer, learning how to clean up viruses on my computer, took a good two hour nap (haven't had one of those in a long time, and it was just what I needed) after my dad and Matthew left to drive back home to IL, changed 3 poopy diapers of Spencer's in addition to many other diaper changes between he and Carson, raided the freezer to use up some really old things in there for dinner so my mom and I can get cooking in the next couple weeks making some ready-to-eat frozen homemade goodness, listened to stereo tantrums from my two youngest sons for the entire dinnertime hours--in particular, listened to Spencer freak out about his cast itching and hurting, and then the most un-fun thing of the day....

Somehow Spencer peed out of his diapers.  Yes, I said diapers--plural.  And it wasn't just a little old man dribble pee.  It was like buckets. So how this whole spica cast that he's in works is that they make a little a cutout area at his (what we call in nurse speak) "peri area."  So I have to take an infant diaper and fold it and tuck it in just-so, and then put a giant diaper over everything.  I knew in looking at him when I noticed his puddle pad (also nurse speak) underneath him was wet that something bad had happened.  I pulled back his diapers and was then very confused.  He was SOAKED.  Had I not changed him?  No, both my mom and I had several times.  Hmm, how did this happen?  We still don't get it.  He hasn't had that much to drink?  But the main problem was that his cast got soaked.  Everything else did too.  So I cleaned him up the best I could, got out my blowdryer, intermittantly using the "cold shot" button to blow cool air on him.  EEEWWW.  So I'll make a call in the morning to the ortho doc to see what they want to do with this icky cast.  Yuck.  And it SMELLS.  BAD.  My mom mentioned that all of Spencer's friends won't want to come visit him now.  For sure! :)

He's so itchy, I just wish there was something I could do.  But there's not.  I try to distract him from time to time with the blowdryer, trying to alleviate his itching (and just plain distracting him) but it's rough.  Been a hard day.  I can't wait for this cast to be off, but I'm also imagining how freaked out I'm going to be when he starts trying to get around.  Kind of how I worry everytime I watch Justin wandering around the house, hoping he won't trip or something and make his clavicle worse.  UGH.

But I got a good nap.  Midwest thunderstorms are good for that.  And an angel baby that slept for 3 hours so I could do so.  Ahh.  That never happens, so I pray it'll continue.  So I focus on those little blessings.  And try to hold it together while I work on cleaning my bedroom tonight so we can have home repairs done in there.  Reminders of Adam are everywhere, especially in our bedroom.  It's just so tough.  But one minute at a time.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa, so glad you got a nap today. I was thinking of Spencer today and how his birthday is coming up. I hope his day is itch-free! Thinking of you lots and sending love your way...

Em said...

isn't it amazing how much a nap means to us mamas? Hope you get more in your future, love you girl. And hoping for some more naps and other small miracles.

beckee said...

SO glad you got that nap-that really is a blessing! How long will Spancer have to be in the cast? I am sure distractions are the main part of your time spent with Spencer right now. Love learning from you every time I read your blogs and emails-how amazing to be counting your blessings like that in such a crazy day and a hard time! Good for you! Keep it up...minute to minute like you said!

Zachary, Christen, and Chloe said...

That poor Spencer in his cast. Talk about insult to injury! If Spencer wants a buddy to come over, Chloe and I would love to come and socialize, pee pee smell or no :) We would love to come see you. Let us know if you want to do a play date or something.

Unknown said...

You are an amazing woman Melissa! I truly admire your strength and that's great you are finding blessings in the small things. I'm so sorry Spencer is so uncomfortable and having these issues with his cast. This isn't fun for him or you! I hope he recovers quickly. Naps are so great and I'm glad you had a chance to take one, despite your extremely busy day. I'm cheering you on!!!

Unknown said...

I feel like I get to know you more everytime I read your blog, I wish we would have done 'outside' of work stuff before I moved 5 hours away. I miss your face and pray for you to get more naps!! (I miss them too..) Love ya. stacy

Amy said...

Tyler was in a spica cast twice. Armpits to toes. I know a little about how you feel. If it helps, I found that the little diaper inside was never absorbant enough so I would use the size he would have normally worn and tucked it up into the cast as far as my fingers could reach (sometimes I would cut off the edging "fabric" so it would take up less space) then put a larger one on the outside. It still didn't keep it completely dry or from smelling but it helped a little. Also, when he slept, I would prop him up just enough so his urine would always go with gravity and hit most of the diaper. At one point he had a cast that was somewhat water proof. It was meant to be able to handle showers and such so they put that on hoping it would help deter urine absorbtion but it ended up causing an allergic reaction to his skin and took off several layers of skin when they changed it back to a regular cast. I only mention that in case you wanted to ask if that kind of cast was available in case it would work better for Spencer. (I don't know how rare Tyler's reaction was.)

Just hoping I can help in some way. We miss all of you back in Omaha. Hugs and prayers.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.